Source: Ina Garten’s “Cooking for Jeffrey”
Bourbon Honey Cake
The Bourbon Honey cake is a special and lovely bake. This cake is large, and full of warmth and spices. In addition to that, it’s quite unique and different. When most of us reach to bake a cake, it’s the standard options, white, chocolate, coconut, carrot, bunt, pound…you’re getting the theme here? With this recipe, the category is on its own. I’m assuming this recipe has some southern roots with the list of spices and bourbon. Who knows, it could also be a much better version of an ‘up-side down cake’, of course with out the pineapple. But, the topper of almonds coupled with the moist dark color, well, I just love it.
This recipe comes from another one of Ina’s great cookbooks, “Cooking for Jeffery“. Jeffery is one lucky bloke, but so will your family and friends be when you present them with such a delightful dessert.
So, when looking for a special dessert, perhaps during the fall or winter season, try this cake out. An extremely moist, dense cake loaded with the perfect fall spices, and maybe even topped with a dollop of cream. It’s a recipe well-worth the adventure.
Bourbon Honey Cake
- 1 cup vegetable oil plus extra for pan
- 3 3/4 cups flour plus extra for pan
- 1 1/2 cups sugar organic
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar I don’t have brown sugar, so I doubled up with my organic turbindo
- 3 large eggs extra large, at room temp.
- 2 tsp grated orange zest 2 oranges
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt sea salt, fine
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger in the spice isle at the market
- 1 cup coffee hot
- 1/2 cup orange juice abt. 2 oranges, freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup bourbon I used brandy, was just fine.
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds blanched
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit. Brush a 9″ angel food cake pan with a non removable bottom with oil. line the bottom with parchment paper, then oil and flour the pan.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with paddle attachment, mix oil, sugar, honey, eggs, orange zest and vanilla on medium for one minute.
- In another bowl, sift together flour, baking soda+powder, cinnamon salt, cloves, allspice and ginger and blend together w/ a wooden spoon.
- Combine the coffee, orange juice and bourbon in a 2-cup glass measuring cup. Alliteratively add the flour and the liquid mixture until well combined; the batter will be very liquidy.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Rap the pan 5x’s on the counter to get rid of any bubbles in the batter. Sprinkle the top with the almonds. Bake in the center oven for 40-45 minutes. Or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
cool and remove from pan. Place cake almond side up.