Source: Ina Garten’s “Cooking for Jeffrey”
The Bourbon Honey Cake is a special and lovely bake. This cake is large, and full of warmth and spices. This is a recipe pulled from Ina Garten’s, “Cooking for Jeffery”‘ Could you imagine being lucky Jeffery? Well, I guess your special guests and loved ones could imagine that special feeling when you make this bourbon honey cake for them.
One of the appealing features to this cake is that it’s dense and moist. The combination of spices, coupled with the lovely touch of almonds on the top (or bottom), is a masterpiece. Yes, it’s a long recipe with a lot of little spices to add, however, it will be well-worth the adventure.
When you serve this cake up, you can serve it with a dollop of cream or a scoop of ice cream.
Bourbon Honey Cake
- 1 cup vegetable oil plus extra for pan
- 3 3/4 cups flour plus extra for pan
- 1 1/2 cups sugar organic
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar I don’t have brown sugar, so I doubled up with my organic turbindo
- 3 large eggs extra large, at room temp.
- 2 tsp grated orange zest 2 oranges
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt sea salt, fine
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger in the spice isle at the market
- 1 cup coffee hot
- 1/2 cup orange juice abt. 2 oranges, freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup bourbon I used brandy, was just fine.
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds blanched
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit. Brush a 9″ angel food cake pan with a non removable bottom with oil. line the bottom with parchment paper, then oil and flour the pan.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with paddle attachment, mix oil, sugar, honey, eggs, orange zest and vanilla on medium for one minute.
- In another bowl, sift together flour, baking soda+powder, cinnamon salt, cloves, allspice and ginger and blend together w/ a wooden spoon.
- Combine the coffee, orange juice and bourbon in a 2-cup glass measuring cup. Alliteratively add the flour and the liquid mixture until well combined; the batter will be very liquidy.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Rap the pan 5x’s on the counter to get rid of any bubbles in the batter. Sprinkle the top with the almonds. Bake in the center oven for 40-45 minutes. Or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
cool and remove from pan. Place cake almond side up.