Source: German food website 2011
Flourless Carrot Cake
I'm the kind of person who always has an abundance of carrots on hand. I usually have 2 large bags in my weekly "bio-box" , so I'm always thinking how to use the carrot! I was on the hunt for a not-so typical carrot cake, and I think I finally found it. To recommend a cake recipe with out flour or butter is something I thought I could never do with confidence. Usually with these ingredients missing, it's an obvious folly. This recipe however, is packed with warmth and flavor. Healthy isn't a stretch when I describe my new found flourless carrot cake! This cake is lovely when finished with a nice citrus glaze on the top. Enjoy!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour 15 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 300 gr carrots shredded
- 5 eggs
- 200 gr sugar
- 250 gr ground hazel nut
- 80 gr bread crumbs you could also substitute for corn meal, very fine though.
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 Tbs cinnamon
- 1 Tbs rum
- Combine the sugar and egg yolks and mix with mixer until thick and creamy. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites added with a little cold water until peaks form.
- In the egg yolk mixture, add the dry ingredients, and now stir in to the egg white mixture and combine. Pour into a buttered and floured cake pan.
- Bake @ 180ºC for about 1 hr. Cool and ice with a powder sugar/lemon juice mixture.