Source: Martha Stewart.com
Martha's done it once again. These are forever wonderful, and they are one of the few carrot cake recipes that use butter and not oil. It's loaded with flavor from the mild spices of cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg, it's perfectly sweet and very moist. Of course, you can't stop there...you need to go for the finish with a delicious cream cheese frosting. Keep those wrappers on and enjoy.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 24 minutes
Total Time 44 minutes
Servings 12 cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups flour spooned and leveled
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 sticks butter melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbs plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups carrots peeled and shredded, it's about 4 medium carrots
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 stick butter room temperature and cut in pieces
- 1 cup powder sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 Fahrenheit. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
- Add your spices. Set aside
- In another large bowl, whisk together melted butter, sugar, egg, yogurt and vanilla. Stir in carrots.
- Gradually add dry to obutter mixture, mixing until well combined.
- Divide among muffin tin with the help of an ice cream scooper, approx. 1 scoop per tin.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, rotating pan ahlfway through until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Let cool completely on wire rack.
- Make frosting by combining all the ingredients together. Mix together the cream cheese, then add the butter, one little bit at a time. Add powdersugar and combine. Refigerate if necessary for thickness.
- In cake form, use a square 9x9 baking dish. Follow exact same recipe, including bake time. Take out from oven, let cool
- Take out of form after cooling for 15-20 minutes
- Add icing slice and serve.