The open face cheese melt with ham and spicy peppers is a simple, open faced sandwich. We usually have this cheese melt the day after we’ve had a Fondue or a Raclette. However, after a delicious raclette or fondue, we seldom have left overs. If you do have extra cheese and are craving a foodie’s version of the grilled cheese, then take note. Take a piece of bread, toast it lightly, then simply add a slice of ham or prosciutto, then the cheese and a topping of peppers or pineapple. Bake it in the oven with over and under heat, until the cheese melts. This is a delicious ready-made snack to turn into an entire lunch meal, a light afternoon snack, or a light dinner. Round it up with a little fresh ground pepper from the pepper mill.
Open Face Cheese and Ham Melt
- 5-10 slices bread artesian, farm or sliced bread
- 2-4 TBS olive oil to brush lightly on the toasted bread
- 5-10 slices cheese left over Fondue, Raclette or sliced cheese
- 1 whole red pepper top before baking
- 5-10 slices thin meat prociutto, ham, or salami
- slice the bread, toast it, and line it in a paper lined baking dish. Brush lightly with olive oil, then put a slice of prosciutto on, followed by cheese. (add pineapple for baking)
Bake @ 200 degrees Celsius, for about 15 min, or until cheese is melted.
Top with a pickle, or whatever else you desire. Eat with hand, or knife and fork.