As a young girl, my first job was working at Marie Calander's Pie Shop and Restaurant. They made the most amazing, sinful cheesecake, that 30 years later, I still remember. The trick while working at the restaurant was to purposely mis-cut the cake, thus making it un-servable to customers. This in turn meant that we could take home a free mis-cut cheesecake! What a deal. In the span of 30 years since working there, I have never made a plain Cheesecake, until this Thanksgiving (2018). My thoughts on this lovely little delight is that it is a definite staple on the Thanksgiving menu. Perhaps, it's just too rich of a cake to enjoy it more than once a year, but Cheesecake is a seasonal cake for me. This simple recipe has only 6 basic ingredients. There are a few steps involved in preparing the cake, but the steps are clear and the results are unbeatable! Treat your family and friends to your version of the simplest, best cake around...the Cheesecake.Enjoy!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 1 cake
For the Crust
- 1 1/2 cups petite burre or grahm crackers, crushed
- 3 TBS sugar
- 1/4 cup butter melted
For the filling:
- 16 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 pint sour cream for top layer
- 1/4 cup sugar for top layer
For the crust
- assemble all your ingredients. yes, there are only a few, but it's complicated to keep going to the fridge to get this and that.
- once all assembled, crush your crackers in a food processor until smooth
- add your melted butter
- stir up with a wooden spoon
- assemble crust into bottom of your spring form pan. use a measuring cup to smooth out the edges and ensure an even crust
for the filling:
- mix the cream cheese, sugar and eggs, one at a time, and be careful not to over-mix
- assemble the mixture and pour over the crust.
- tap the sides of the pan to help out any air bubbles that might be trapped.
Bake @ 180 C. for about 25-30 min. or until center is firm and not jiggly
- mix the sour cream and sugar
- take baked cake out of the oven, let cool for about 10 min., meanwhile, increase oven temperature to 200 C., Pour mixture over top of cooled cake.
- bake for an additional 10 minutes. Let cool then chill for at least 4 hours.