Source: Aunty Paulie about 2010
Chicken Pot Pie
My mom and aunt(y) were visiting from California. We’ve spent a lot of time in the kitchen. While sitting around the table discussing meals, my aunt said she would make a chicken pot pie – an all American favorite! I’ve never had a home-made version. Well, you’ll see from the pictures there wasn’t a scrap left-and loved it! This served about 7 people for dinner. If you make it in individual dishes its great to serve when having guests over or you can freeze the other dishes when you only 2-3 people.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 2 hours
Total Time 3 hours 30 minutes
Servings 7 people
- 1 chicken boilded
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 pinch sea salt or 2
- 1 pinch pepper
- 5 cups chicken stock preferably homemade
- 2 tbs bouillon or 3
- 1 tbs butter or 2
- 2 cups carrots
- 2 cups peas frozen
- 1 onion or 2, diced
- 1/2 stick celery or a whole one
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
crust (double recipe for a top crust, a must)
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 75 gr butter
- 1/2 cup water or 2/3 but ice cold
- 1 egg beaten with water for egg wash
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- Get a stock pot filled with water, and put the fresh chicken in. Bring to a boil, and let it cook and boil until meat easily comes off the bones.
- Prepare the chicken meat in small pieces
- Keep your broth separate.
- Begin to prepare the vegetables. In a large stock pot, melt butter and oil, add onions, diced carrots, diced celery root.
- Cook until translucent and the carrots are a bit softer.
- Add the flour, ¼ cup amounts at a time and stir.
- Add the bouillon
- Begin to add your broth, stir until all has been added.
- Add your cream, and your frozen peas to the mixture, and finally, add the pulled chicken.
- At this point, it’s cooked, and ready to be placed in your dough lined baking dish.
- I happen to have a Vitamix, and not a cuisinart or kitchenaid. My aunt showed me a very quick and an easy way to make the dough in the mixer. Begin by adding the flour to the mixer-turn it on. Add the salt and baking powder. Slowly add your cut butter cubes, then the water. Add enough water until it forms a ball and is well mixed.
- Line a baking dish and pre-heat your oven to 200 °C. Add the filling and place the dough on top (remember double the dough recipe)
- Paint on the egg wash
- some salt and pepper
- and bake for approx. 1 hour.
- Serve, and watch the entire pie disappear!!!