Source: My Mom about 1980’s
It’s not often that I make a chicken stir-fry (with penne), but when I do, I love to serve it the Italian way with a penne noodle. Served up with nice chunky pieces of chicken, onions, mushrooms and some peppers, it’s a warm hearty meal. For us in Switzerland, chicken is a very expensive commodity. To buy organic chicken breasts, you’ll find 2 (halves) of a breast in a package of plastic for Fr. 20. While a whole chicken, (smaller to our American standards) will cost you Fr. 20+. Suffice it to say, chicken is in the ‘special’ section of our menu options. So, out of the sheer principle of it all, we now eat a lot less chicken than did before while living in California. It’s ok, you learn to live with out things when they are insanely priced. I hope the chicken thanks me for this modern opinion.
Is it a vegetable saute with chicken? Or a chicken saute with veg?
For us, there’s really only a few ways to enjoy chicken. The roast, the fry, or the saute. The saute is one of the quickest, meat based meals to make. Coupled with as many suitable vegetables as possible, I like to make it more of a vegetable saute with chicken. I tend to reach for what the season calls for. Onions, celery, carrots, mushrooms, cabbage, some fresh tomatoes, and in summer, it’s a slam dunk with the summer veg.
- 2 whole chicken breasts or 2 (skinned and sliced into 1-2” strips)
- olive oil to sauté
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 medium peppers sliced (your choice, bell, Anaheim, etc.)
- 3-4 large mushrooms sliced
- salt and pepper for taste
- 3 super hot chili peppers to garnish
- Begin with dicing onion and sauté along with olive oil. I chose to throw in some celery too.
- Once onions are translucent and flavored well with salt and pepper, add your chicken strips and stir to incorporate all the flavors in the pan. Cook for about 8 minutes.
- Clean and pear your peppers, and cut them in long diagonal strips. Throw in your peppers and cover the pan with a lid. Adjust heat to medium. Cook for about 2-3 minutes.(I like the vegetables to remain a bit crunchy and not soft)
- Add your cubed meat pieces in the end. Ensure it’s cooked thoroughly by covering the lid and turning off the heat after cooking for 5 min.) Always check to be sure the meat is cooked throughout. W
- accompany the meat saute with penne pasta.