This is a very delightful version of Chinese Orange Chicken. Better than you could find in any restaurant or take-away, this is hands-down an awesome dish. What I like most about this recipe is the perfect balance of crispy fried pieces of meat, coupled with this sweet and sticky sauce. Coated well to ensure each piece of chicken is oozing this zesty sauce, it’s a fine accompaniment to rice or just eaten alone.
The 3-step process ensures a perfectly fried chicken that is non-greasy and holds its crispy fried outer layer. I suggest coating the chicken first in the corn starch/flour mix, then dip in the egg mix, and last again in the flour mix. This is the key to a nice frying exterior. Plus, the orange sauce coats the final product just perfectly. The balance of the sauce is not too sweet, and nice and sticky.
Chinese Orange Tofu
If you are wanting to keep this meal vegetarian, simply substitute the chicken for cubed tofu. The result is just as delicious, and you do not miss the fact that your not eating chicken. Very satisfying, extremely well done rendition of the famous, Chinese Orange Chicken or in our case Chinese Orange Tofu!
Chinese Orange Chicken
For the chicken
- 4-6 whole chicken breast breast is best, cut in cubes
- 3 large eggs whisked
- 1/4 cup corn starch equal parts to flour
- 1/4 cup flour equal parts to cornstarch
- 1 ltr frying oil
for the sauce
- 1 cup orange juice fresh or finihsed
- 1/2 cup sugar or agave
- 2 TBS rice or white vinegar
- 3 TBS soy sauce
- 1 tsp ginger powder or fresh grated
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 1 tsp chili flakes or fresh cut
- 1 TBS corn starch to thicken
- 2 cups basamati soaked and rinsed, drained
- 4 cups water
to fry the chicken
- pick your 3 large eggs (these are fresh duck eggs, from my neighbor!)
- whisk these beauties
- get dry mix together
- these are your coating ingredients. have them ready to go when you begin.
- cut up the chicken in nice cubes
- this is a 3 step process
- take dipped pieces of corn starch dipped chicken and roll into egg
- roll again into flour-corn starch mix
- nicely coat each piece
- it’s ready to fry
- assemble in bowl and pour hot sauce over
- mix up very well, until all the chicken pieces are coated. serve over rice
for the orange sauce
- mix all the ingredients together, except the corn starch, and heat in a sauce pan until nice and hot. when it begins to boil, add the corn starch and whisk until nice and thick.