Source: Nigella Lawson
Clara’s cake = My birthday cake! 2018
My 16 year old daughter Clara was inspired to bake me a lovely Coffee and Walnut Layer Cake for my birthday. The walnut cake is a Nigella cake, but not just any cake, it’s a cake that she made every year for her sister’s birthday. It was a bit labor intensive, but nothing too unmanageable. I have yet to work this recipe, but I can’t wait to get my hands on it. As with any cake, it’s double delicious the next day.
Coffee and Walnut Layer Cake
For the cake:
- 50 grams walnuts
- 225 grams powder sugar
- 225 grams butter softened
- 200 grams flour
- 4 tsp instant coffee
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 to 2 TBS milk
For the frosting:
- 350 grams powder sugar
- 175 grams butter softened/room temperature
- 2 1/2 tsp instant coffee
- 10 halves walnuts for decoration
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 180 C., or 350 F.
- Butter 2 20cm cake pans, and line the base with parchment paper
- put walnut pieces and sugar into processor until a fine nutty powder
- add the butter, flour and coffee powder, baking powder baking soda and eggs and process to a smooth batter
- add the milk, pouring in while mixing until consistency is soft
- divide the mixture between the two baking dishes and bake for 25 minutes
- cook cakes for 10 minutes before taking them out of their form, to cool further before icing
- pulse the powder sugar until it’s lump free in the mixer, then add butter and process to make smooth.
- dissolve the instant coffee into boiling water and add it while still hot to the processor, pulsing to blend into the butter cream.
- when icing is finished, ice, then top with walnuts.