Quelle: William Sonoma “The Pie Kochbuch”
Kürbiskuchen oder sogar besser Kürbis Chai Torte. Einige lieben es, während andere es verabscheuen. Ich bin in der vorherige Kategorie. Ich liebe dieses Dessert aus vielen Gründen. Zuerst, it’s a rarity to enjoy a piece of it, and it’s usually reserved for holiday season. Particular Halloween and Thanksgiving. It’s a symbol of fall. Its flavor is fall, nice and spicy, a bit nutty, and warm. The first mention of pumpkins was around the 1500’s. It was a new product discovered in Central America from the early European explores. They of course brought the orange beauty back to the shores of England. Thus stemmed the boom of the English pie revolution.
Early English cookbooks dating back to the 1600’s, showed and instructed cooking the pumpkin together with milk, straining then cooking in a crust. Not much is different today. Pumpkin in a tin? Forget it! It’s too easy to pick a pumpkin (really any will do), slice it in half, bake, cool it, then scrape it out and puree together with milk or cream, Gewürze, sugar and a bit of corn starch to stabilize it.
Pumpkin Pie Chai
- 1 klein Kürbis for roasting
- 1 Tasse brauner Zucker firmly packed
- 1 TBS Maisstärke
- 3/4 tsp Zimt
- 3/4 tsp gemahlener Ingwer
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp Salz
- 3 groß Eier leicht geschlagen
- 1 Tasse Sahne
- 11/2 tsp Vanille
- 1 1/4 Tassen Mehl 200 Gramm
- 1 TBS Zucker
- 1/4 tsp Salz
- 1/2 Tasse Butter cold and squared
- 3 TBS Wasser sehr kalt
Für die Füllung:
- Ofen vorheizen auf 200 degrees celsius. Take your small pumpkin, slice in half and clean out the seeds. Lay face up on a baking sheet and bake until soft. Take out and cool completely.
- scoop out the puree from the cooked pumpkin and combine with the brauner Zucker and mix.
- add your spices along with the cornstarch. Add the beaten eggs, and heavy cream.
- fill into pre-baked, pre-cooled pie crust.Bake @ 200 C. für 45 meine. or until firm.
- abkühlen lassen, cut and serve with a dallop of whip cream
For Pie Crust
- combine all ingredients together (Butter, Mehl, Salz), and form into crumbly mixture. Add the cold water and mold the dough together.
- Put into pie form, backen 20 meine. @ 200 C. or until lightly golden.
- It might be difficult to avoid burnt crust. If necessary, cover the crust with foil and continue to bake until the center is set.
- cut and serve together with a dollop of cream (sprinkled with a hint of cinnamon)