This vegan stuffed peppers and eggplant dish makes for a perfect option during the peak of summer. For one, the vegetables of peppers, Zucchini, Aubergine, tomatoes are all in the peak of summer production. I say secondly as a newly converted vegan, it makes for a wonderful option to serve up for family and friends. Plus, who wouldn’t love this lovely display of ‘eating the rainbow as you serve up your lovely dish of vegan stuffed peppers and eggplant!
A Vegan alternitive
I’m proud to find new meat-less alternatives when cooking, and being that this dish is 100% vegan, the perfect alternative to meat is this deliciously light couscous filling. A healthy wonderful grain derived from durum wheat. We know durum wheat products because its derived for semolina flour. We know semolina flour for making pasta.
The process of this end product is finished by crushing the durum into granules, rather than ground into flour. Originating from North Africa, this ancient grain has made its mark in Middle-Eastern cuisine, as well as throughout southern Europe and the U.S.
The possibilities of cooking with couscous are endless. I am not new to couscous. As I have served this dish up on it’s own on serveral occasions. Couscous is traditionally mixed with lemon juice, fresh parsley, garlic and tomatoes. A dish with unique foreign flavor that is hard to beat. Additionally to my own crafty version, this was a dish often served by my Middle-Eastern friends, in particular, my Palestinian friends. Using couscous for a filling in a dish like the stuffed peppers, is a great option. Non-vegans usually fill the peppers, Zucchini, Tomaten, eggplant with a rice, ground lamb/beef combination. Also a delicious alternative, jedoch, now vegan, I’m in search for healthier alternatives.
Simple recipe, great results
Just bake in the oven for about 20 Minuten, then served. It couldn’t be easier. There’s no waste with the filling of the vegetables, and the taste is delicious.
Vegan gefüllte Paprika und Auberginen
- 200 Gramm couscous follow instructions on package
- 1 TBS vegetable bouillon add to cooking water in couscous
- 1 ganze Zitrone Saft nur
- 2 Mittel Aubergine cut in middle, then hollowed out, save flesh
- 2-3 Mittel whole bell peppers tops cut, seeds cleaned
- 1 groß Zwiebel gewürfelt, sautee with flesh of eggplant
- 1-2 Zehen Knoblauch gebrochen, added into finished couscous
- 1-2 TBS Olivenöl for cooking
- 1-2 Prisen Salz und Pfeffer
- 1 Bündel flat parsley frisch & gehackt, add into finished couscous
- 1-2 TBS Olivenöl add into finished couscous
- 2 ganze Tomaten gewürfelt, add into finished couscous
- in einem großen Metallbehälter, add your dry couscous, plus double the amount of hot boiling water. auf über, cover with lid, and let stand for 15 meine. Water will be absorbed and grain will be soft and cooked
- Cut the eggplant in half, then scoop our the flesh. Beiseite. Take the tops off the peppers, scoop out the seeds, set aside together with the eggplant into a roasting dish.
- saute the eggplant flesh and onion, together until soft.
- fill the base of the eggplants with the eggplant saute.
- once couscous is cooked, add diced parsley, Zitronensaft, Knoblauch, sat/pepper, and olive oil. mix together.
- fill peppers, and eggplant
- bake in oven @ 200°C for about 20 meine.