Source: Myself; cir. 1997
Delicious Beet Salad-with fresh mint
Guarantee: You will never buy a can of beets again! When our farmer grew the crop of beets in our field, I was so intrigued with their appearance, that I had to find a way to cook them, rather than toss them. I had very little exposure to beets as a child. I think the only ones I had ever tasted were those from the salad bar! Our farmer had gold beets, and the Chioggia beets. They were beautiful and had a green sprout-something close to a chard or spinach, and turns out, you too can eat that! Anyhow, beets are great, the more you eat, the better you’ll feel. An additional note: When we broke bread with our older Italian friend, Giovanni, he always had a beet salad with his meals. His little bit of Italian came in when he added fresh sliced peppermint and drizzled his home made vinegar over the top. We still talk about his delicious beet salad! Enjoy.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 6 people
- 3 medium beets or 6 small
- 2 to 3 drizzles olive oil a good, nutty organic type.
- 3 drizzles balsamic vinegar a rich organic variety, barrel aged
- 1 whole onion diced fine or use leek
- 1 to 2 sprigs mint apple mint, spearment, egyptian mint are all good varieties to add
- Clean and rinse your beets, cut off the green top, and the rough ends. To achieve a more even cook, cut beets in half and keep them all about the same size.
- Fill stock pot or pressure cooker with appropriate amount of water, enough to cover the beets. Cover, and boil. Cook in pot until you can easily pierce the beet w/ a fork or knife. In the pressure cooker, this process should take about 10 min. under boil
- When beets are cooked, run them under cold water, this will blanch their skins, allowing an easy peel of the skin. Once beets are peeled, dice them. I prefer to cut in half, then dice.
- Take your onion, leek, or shallot, clean and peel and begin to fine slice. When all evenly sliced, then turn knife sideways and dice it all up, fine is best in my opinion.
- Put all diced beets in bowl. Add your diced mint
- Add in diced onions, salt and pepper, olive oil and vinegar
- Add a bit of extra vinegar, it boasts a lot of flavor valuable to the finish taste of this lovely salad.
- Serve along with a nice Spanish rice, green salad and beet salad.