It seems like a lot of effort to make these lovely cookies for a particular bad little boy in the family, but this was indeed the case for these Spitzbub cookies. Loosely translated from Swiss-German to English, el nombre spitzbub significa más o menos, a clever little rascal. I guess the name for the cookie is indeed self-explanatory, most little boys are rascals, and most little boys love this cookie! The cookie is for sure, a Swiss tradition. Every bakery features the over-sized version of this cookie for all the local little rascals (boy or girl). This is a double layer cookie which usually features a cut out from the top middle layer. The cookie is filled with your favorite home-made jelly, then finished with a nice light sprinkling of powder sugar. This is a favorite recipe for my little rascals.
Spitzbub or Rascal Cookies
- 1 taza mantequilla about 200g
- 1 1/4 tazas azúcar 125 gramos
- 1 TBS vanilla or vanilla sugar
- 1 pellizcar sal
- 1 medio huevo
- 1 1/4 tazas harina 300 gramos
- 1 rind limón
- 1 1/2 taza gelatina acerca de 150 g
- 2 a 3 TBS azúcar en polvo for sprinkling for entire batch
Elaboración paso a paso
- This is a pretty simple ingredient list, which requires you to combine room temperature butter with the rest of the ingredients (except the jelly and powder sugar which are used for the decorating portion of this recipe)Mix by hand or with mixer until well combined. Wrap in cling paper and chill for 1 hour in the refrigerator. This step makes it easy to roll out and cut with out the dough being too soft.
- After dough is chilled, take out and begin to roll the dough on a well floured surface.
Caliente el horno a 170 grados Celsius.
Prepare a paper lined cookie sheet and gather your cookie cutter forms.
- roll out dough, then cut the center out .
- bake for 12 acta, before it begins to turn golden.
take out and let cool
- apply the jelly on the bottom solid layer, the put the cut out layer on the top. Finish with powder sugar(my daughter’s version)
- my version for someone’s “welcome home”