Vegan pizza is actually a thing folks! That’s right – pizza without cheese and without meat. Is that even possible? Yes indeed. This pizza is loaded with ample amounts of vegetables over a wonderful spicy tomato sauce.
Madonna and vegan pizza, 2009!
A former Madonna fan, there wasn’t much I would miss about her habits, diet, and lifestyle. Sí, I’m a reformed fan today, thankfully, but I still remember pondering the thought back in 2009, when I watched Madonna on David Letterman, how the hell she could have pizza with out cheese? Dave loves pizza however, and insisted for some reason they go for a slice of N.Y. pizza after the show. Madonna’s only 2 requests were: pizza without cheese or meat, and a martini. “How boring”, pensé. Who the hell eats pizza without cheese?
Resulta que, hago. Ahora, nearly a decade later, I’m biting into the same thing. As you can probably guess by now, I’m a newly converted vegan. I used to arrange my life, my meals around my animal-based ingredients. Por ejemplo, no cheese in the house, no butter or meat? To this day, I cannot offer an explanation for my actions, and my extremely limited views. But it took going ‘vegan’ to discover that vegan cheese-free pizza is not only a thing, but it’s a damn good satisfying thing, and the world needs to hear about it.
Something that you might not miss after eating a nice vegan pizza is the over-bloated feeling you experience when the cheese is trying desperately to digest in your intestines. Eating a vegan pizza is by no means light, but due to the fact that it’s just loaded with vegetables, it takes away that awful feeling of a long tiresome digestion period.
My reach today is now for zucchini, Berenjena, Rúcula, albahaca, tomato’s, ajo, and a wonderful spicy tomato sauce or pesto base, coupled with an amazing crust- and I’m betting you’ll follow my lead here.
pizza del vegano
Para la masa
- 4 tazas harina
- 1 taza harina de papa or use a cooked, mashed potato
- 1 TBS azúcar for yeast mixture
- 20 gramos levadura Fresco, o 1 packet dry yeast
- 1-2 tazas agua tibia or until dough achieves the proper texture
- 1 TBS aceite de oliva
- 1 pellizcar sal
For the sauce
- 1 poder tomates cortados
- 1 sprig romero
- 1 Clavo ajo
- 1 pellizcar sal
- 1 swig aceite de oliva
For the toppings
- 1 todo calabacín rebanado
- 1 todo Berenjena en rebanadas delgadas
- 1-2 puñado hongos rebanado
- 1-2 grande pimientos rebanado
Elaboración paso a paso
For the Dough
- combine the ingredients and mix well by hand or with mixer until dough is soft and pliable. Cover and set aside for the rising which will be about 1-2 horas. When risen, work dough with your hands to form a nice circle, which is the base for your pizza
Para la salsa
- combine the ingredients into a vitamix or blender, blend up, then set aside. If you have basil on hand and wish to make a pesto base, follow a pesto recipe or just add a handful of basil leaves, ajo, a bit of olive oil, and mix up.
For the toppings
- get your toppings all chopped ahead of time, and set aside. This makes assembly easy.
- once the dough is spread, add a dab of olive oil, and sauce, and spread out evenly.
- ahora, layer your veg.
- cook at 200 Celsius on the top/bottom setting on the oven, until pizza is nearly baked. Then turn setting to convection for the last 5 acta.
- eliminar, rebanada y servir