Source: Family friend cir. 2010
Filled Braided Zopf is the extra special version, of an already special bread.
Zopf, as you may or not know, is the braided Sunday bread of Switzerland. Zopf, which means “braid” is comparable to a challah bread, and is a yeast bread with a butter and milk base. Unlike any other bread out there, it’s a very special white bread. I love Sunday’s just for this reason alone. But, like many traditions, this one has weakened a bit. As you can pretty much buy Zopf any day of the week now in Switzerland.
This filled, braided version is quite delicious, and makes for the perfect addition to any Sunday brunch, Easter, or special occasion. Filled with creme fraische, prosciutto, and Gruyere, you’ll find that every bite of this bread holds a surprise. This is a recipe that was found in the local paper, and it’s worth embarking on. It’s a tad on the challenging side with stuffing and braiding, but it’s not surgery. It’s a wonderful surprise when it’s cooked and served, and will fill any house on Sunday with a smell to remember.
Filled Braided Zopf Bread
Dough for bread
- 750 Grams flour
- 90 Grams butter soft & cut in pieces
- 2 to 3 tsp salt
- 2 cups milk luke warm
- 40 Grams fresh yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 180 grams Crème Fraiche
- 2 pinches salt
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 100 grams gruyère cheese shredded
- 150 grams prosciutto thin cut
- 75 grams pistachio chopped
- Pre-mix yeast with dash of water to form a paste
- Mix flour and all ingredients all the way up to the sugar.
- Add butter and milk.
- Mix and kneed until dough becomes a soft, pliable dough. Cover with a moistened towel (warm water), let rise for 1-2 hours or until dough doubles in size
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough beginning with a rectangle shape of dough until dough is even and smooth. Cut dough in half (length wise). Spice the Crème fraiche and paint dough pieces. Now sprinkle on the cheese. Add the prosciutto and sprinkle on the pistachio pieces.
- Spread the Crème fraiche on the dough. Sprinkle on the cheese. Add the prosciutto and sprinkle on the pistachio pieces.
- Now roll the dough pieces length wise. Then braid the 2 dough pieces, forming the 2 pieces in to one thick braid. Finish with an egg brush. Let it sit for another 30 min.
- Apply another egg brush, and bake 45 minutes (lower shelf) @ 400ºF in preheated oven.