Persimmon & Walnut bread is such a delightful treat when made with a great recipe. Sadly it seems quite difficult to find the right recipe out there on the web. Much to my chagrin, the trend with persimmon bread tends to be with added raisins and dried fruit. I totally disagree.
Persimmon are a lovely fruit, orange in color, originating from Asia. There are several varieties out there, but we’re pretty much exposed to the two most popular ones. They are the Hachiya, and the Fuyu. The Hachiya is the more preferred version for baking. She is softer skinned and acorn shaped. Fuyu on the other hand the one that is eaten like an apple. It has a tougher skin and round shape. In addition to their beauty and delicious flavor, the persimmon is a powerhouse fruit, loaded with ant-oxidants, anti-inflammatory compounds and anti-tumor components. Who wouldn’t love the perfect persimmon.
Certainement, persimmons have enough taste and texture to pull off their own theme in baked goods, with out the addition of dried fruits and raisins. The persimmon & walnut bread was so pleasing, it deserves to be passed on. The moisture level here is impressive, with the slight cinnamon flair and who doens’t love walnuts with this combination.
Cut it up to go on a picnic, a hike, or just a mid-day snack. It travels with class and will not crumble or fall apart. Give this bread a go, and share it with whomever you can!
Persimmon & pain aux noix
- 1/2 tasse beurre soft and cut small
- 3/4 tasse la farine blanche basic flour
- 3/4 tasse wheat flour or a wheat blend
- 1 c bicarbonate de soude
- 1 c sel
- 1 c cannelle or more if you prefer
- 3-4 moyen presimmons ripe and soft, skinned
- 1/3 tasse Babeurre or milk with tsp. vinegar
- 1 tasse sucre
- 2 moyen œufs
- 1 tasse noix
- in a blender, mix skinned persimmons and buttermilk until smooth. set aside
- in your mixer, mix together butter, le sucre et les œufs
- mix dry and add to wet
- mix persimmon and buttermilk and mix until well combined
- pour in long loaf pan, lined with baking paper.Cuire @ 350 pour 35 min., ou jusqu'à ce que testeur ressorte propre
- cook, cut and serve. sprinkle powder sugar on top if you would like.