Source: Adapted from “Good Things” cookbook
Fruit porridge (Bircher Müsli)
Author’s intro to Bircher Muesli, read it, you will love the dish more! “This raw fruit porridge, more appetizingly known as Bircher muesli, makes a luxurious breakfast dish. It was invented by Dr. Bircher-Benner, pioneer of food reform, for patients at his Zurich clinic. He explained that he felt muesli “corresponds with the laws of the human organism,” its composition, i.e., its proportions of protein, fat and carbohydrate calories, being identical with mother’s milk. The fact is that Bircher muesli tastes delicious: it’s the one great contribution of the vegetarian movement to the pleasures of European eating.” I will provide the original Bircher muesli recipe from the clinic and the cookbook. I do however adapt it for my needs-what this meal is super for, is using up all your ‘older’ fruit. So, I make a big batch (500 grams oats), rather than the individual serving the recipe is for. I include usually 2 of each fruit, and my fruits usually include apples, pears, banana, kiwi, and dried raisins. When seasonal, I love adding a ripe persimmon. Either way, share it with the ones you love and enjoy!
Prep Time 20 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 20 minutes
Servings 5 people
- 1 Tbs oatmeal coarse oatmeal or rolled oats
- 3 Tbs water
- 1 . apple
- 1 Tbs condensed sweetened milk
- 1/2 . lemon only the juice
- 1 Tbs nuts chopped
- 500 gr oatmeal
- 1 . apple
- 2 . bananas
- 2 . kiwi
- 1 . pear
- 1 L milk whole and organic
- 1 cup raisins
- 100 gr sugar optional
- 1 . lemon only the juice
- 100 gr nuts chopped (walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, ...)
- Put oats and water into a bowl and soak for 12 hours (overnight).
- Just before eating, stir in the sweetened condensed milk and the lemon juice, which sharpens the flavor agreeably and helps to keep the apple from turning brown.
- Put a flat grater over the bowl and grate in the apple, peel, core and all, but no stalk.
- Stir the apple into the oatmeal mixture every so often, to prevent its discoloring. Add the nuts and serve.
- Put oats, sugar, raisins and milk into a big bowl and soak for 12 hours (overnight).
- In the morning, cut all the fruit and add to bowl
- Add the nuts and lemon juice and add a little more milk.