Lamb and Italians
Herb roasted rack of lamb is the center part of our Easter meal. Traditionally, our Northern Italian family will have lamb and ravioli. In Italian culture lamb is a symbol of deep religious roots. Lambs are featured in many works of art during the Renaissance period, and today, remain the symbol of many Italian townships on flags and crests. Lamb and Easter is a tradition dating back thousands of years. For many, Easter wouldn’t be the same without it on the table. In fact, the spring lamb is the lamb of preference for the Italians. As the animal will be young and milk fed, thus ensuring a light soft pink meat.
For our herb roasted rack of lamb, we purchased the fine cut from our local organic farmer. It was certain that this lambs short life was that of quality and joy. Having the opportunity to breath clean fresh air, while eating the nutritiously rich spring grass in the fields. Something many animals never get to do.
Mom’s secret recipe
In honoring our lamb, my mom worked her magic with her special lamb rub. Consisting of a home-made mustard-herbed rub, then coated with a coarse breadcrumb mix. The lamb is then baked at a high temperature for 10 minutes, then lowered and slow cooked for the remaining time. This flash heat method ensues a nice hearty crust on the outside, and a delicate light pink on the inside. Memorable for certain!! This year, my mom and Aunt out did themselves for us. We’ll never forget this amazing meal shared together over the Easter holiday.
Herb Roasted Rack of Lamb
- 1 medium rack of lamb
- 4 TBS mustard
- 2-3 tsp fresh rosemary diced fine
- 1-2 pinches salt
- 1-2 pinches fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs extra chunky
- 1/2 cup parmesean grated fine
- combine the mustard along with fresh rosemary and salt and pepper
- paint generously on the rack and slather it in
- combine the bread crumbs and cheese and coat the outside of the lamb-the top
- the side
- and underneath
- On high heat, roast the lamb for about 10 minutes, then turn it down for the remaining time to cook, keeping it below 120 degrees Celsius.
- When cooked slice and serve