Source: Ina Garten
I’m not sure about the story on Ina Garten’s, Aunt Beatty’s Chocolate Cake, but I’m sure it’s a memorable tale. There are a few specialties in this recipe that make it a cake not to forget. There is both added coffee in the cake batter, and in the icing. However, the chocolate is the definite theme. This cake is incredibly moist, the icing is soft like ribbons and biting in to the first bite is amazing.
Beatty’s Chocolate Cake
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cups cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup coffee
- 6 oz dark chocolate melted and cooled
- 1/2 lb butter
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/4 cup powder sugar
- 1 TBS coffee
For the cake:
- grease 2 cake spring-form tins and set aside.
preheat oven to 350.combing all dry ingredients in bowl, set aside
- combine buttermilk, oil, eggs and whip until well blended.
- add the wet and dry together, then pour in coffee. Mix.
- pour equally into 2 cake pans and bake for 40 minutes or until center is cooked
- Begin to make your icing by melting the chocolate over a double broiler. let cool completely before mixing it into the butter, powered sugar, egg yolk mixture.
Add chocolate, and coffee, whip up and then ice the cakes.
- after your first layer is iced, add your second layer and ice both top and sides.
- put in fridge before serving.