Zucchini flower pizza. Could this be the great new idea in pizza toppers? credo di si. What to do at the end of the summer with so many zucchini flowers popping up? I know personally, I’m at the end of my zucchini rope. More than likely I’m done with zucchini fritters, zucchini quiche, and zucchini bread and muffins. Ancora, the flowers are in abundance on my zucchini plants.
You may or may not know, the zucchini flowers are iconic in the Italian culture. Most Italians do what’s best for the flower in cuisine, we fry it up. We batter it, friggere, and enjoy it along with a meal or alone as an appetizer with wine. Credimi, there’s nothing finer than a fried up zucchini flower. But throwing it on top of a pizza is a fundamentally wonderful idea. The flowers cook up wonderfully, and they are delicate and give a nice undertone of of warmth to the pizza. It’s paired well with creamy mozzarella and tomatoes and basil.
Tip of the day regarding your flowers. When picking, be sure to pick in the morning when the flower is closed. Rinse it off and let dry. Check the inside of the flower, as on occasion, there’s a nice bug or two nesting. Just rinse them out, pat dry and use as desired.
Zucchini Flower Pizza
Moral of the story…anything goes, even flowers on your pizza!
- 900 grammi farina circa 7.5 tazze
- 20 grammi lievito di birra
- 4 TBS fecola di patate o 1-2 mashed soft potatos
- 1 TBS olio d'oliva pioggerella
- 1 pizzicare sale
- 1 a 2 tazze acqua caldo, until dough is the perfect texture and not sticky
- Go about making this typical and simple dough as you would any pizza dough. Combine your ingredients with the wet, by adding the warm water slowly until you are happy with the binding, and it’s not sticky.
- Lay out on a board and cover with a warm water towel, set aside and let it rise.
- when it’s risen and doubled in size, take the towel off, and cut the dough in half, right down the middle. This will form 2 large pizza’s.
- spread rounded, flattened dough on a pizza pan, and begin to add your toppers. Begin with olive oil, then your sauce, formaggio, and the final topper.
- meat version I also prepared with the second pizza
- Bake in a hot oven (200 Centigrado), and use the convection fan, along with the under grill setting. Bake until golden and crust looks ready.