Source: Nonni’s sauce 1980’s
I think we can all agree, that lasagna is pretty basic. It involves layering the lasagna pasta in a deep baking dish, and putting the cheese and sauce in-between. However, I’m sure we’ve all tasted some ‘mediocre’ to less than mediocre renditions of this lovely Italian deep dish recipe.
I’ve come to the conclusion, that the sauce is the most reflective and is the key player in any lasagna. Without a nice, hearty Bologese for example, the taste will be less than satisfying. You don’t need to incorporate meat to succeed with your sauce. Keep it vegetarian and make yourself a wonderful hearty red sauce with lots of herbs, spices and maybe a shredded carrot or two for some ‘meat’ effect. And, remember, when making the vegetarian version, incorporate a nice creamy beschamel.
This is my second recipe for lasagna on the site. You’ll see the main difference between the two is one is with beschamel, while this one is with out. Remember, work with the best ingredients and you will get the best results.
- 1 pack lasagna noodles
- 1 pot tomato sauce home made
- 5 buffalo Mozzarella cheese large, fresh balls
- 1 stem oregano fresh or dry
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 200°C. I always par boil my noodles, even if they say “no cooking needed”. So, par-boil your lasagna noodles. Prepare a deep baking dish by drizzling a bit of olive oil.
- Also, prepare your mozzarella by draining the excess water and splitting it in half with your hands. Break the large ball in several small pieces, probably to the size of a quarter. When you have finished, you should have a bowl full of little pieces of mozzarella. This makes it easy to apply, and your lasagna won’t have a huge chunky cheesy feeling.
- After your sauce has cooked for a half hour minimum and you are satisfied with the flavor, ladle in 1 scoop of sauce on the bottom of the dish. Spread it around to cover the entire dish.
- Begin first layer of lasagna noodles, then add a nice layer of mozzarella. Add a ladle or 2 of sauce.
- Begin layering the second row of lasagna noodles, cheese and sauce. Follow same steps until you are finished with the noodles. Finish the dish with fresh sauce on the top and cheese. Bake for 20-30 min. or until brown and bubbling. Turn off the oven, let cool for about 10 min.