I pulled this “Zitronenkuchen” recipe from a local Swiss cookbook. Just one look and I knew this cake would be a delicious, lemony experience. France, Italy and Germany, the countries that border Switzerland, and too, share the love of lemons. Swiss folks often put lemon zest in their cookies, the French love to bake, and cook with it. The Italians love to add it to any dish in the summer time, not to mention their love of Limoncello.
For the love of this yellow fruit, this is a delightful cake. The perfect amount of lemon gives this a nice lemony color, the taste of citric in the cake is perfect, and you’ll find enough bitterness in the sweet icing. I think this is quite simply, the perfect dessert, for the perfect occasion.
Summer Lemon Cake
- 7/8 cup butter 200 grams
- 2 cups sugar 200 grams
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 whole lemons zest from lemons + 2 TBS juice
- 2 1/3 cups flour 250 grams
- 1 TBS baking powder
For the icing:
- 4 TBS lemon juice
- 3 cups powder sugar 300 grams
- Butter your 24cm. spring form pan, sprinkle with flour and set asidepre-heat oven to 200 Celsius
- cut up butter into squares and blend with mixer
- Add sugar and blend together
- add eggs, one at a time. Add flour, baking powder, lemon juice and lemon zest and blend.
- pour into spring form pan and bake for 40 minutes
- or until cooked in the middle. Let cool and make icing.
- ice by brushing on the icing all around the cake
- slice and serve