Lemon Cake or Zitronenkuchen
I pulled this Zitronenkuchen or Lemon Cake recipe from a local Swiss cookbook. Just one look and I knew this recipe would be a delicious, lemony experience. France, Italy and Germany, the countries that border Switzerland, and too, share the love of lemons. Swiss folks often put lemon zest in their cookies, the French love it for baking and cooking. The Italians love to add it to any dish in the summer time, not to mention their love of Limoncello.
For the love of this yellow fruit, this is a delightful cake. The perfect amount of lemon gives this a nice lemony color, the taste of citrus is perfectly balanced, and you’ll find enough bitterness in the sweet icing. I think this is quite simply, the perfect dessert, for the perfect occasion.
Since we’re on the tail end of this lovely lemon recipe, here’s a bit of thought on the powers of lemon with baking dough. Just a thought here, but have you ever heard of adding lemon juice to your bread dough? Nor have I. Until you do a bit of research on the pro’s and con’s of adding lemon to a baking recipe, you’d never know. But, as the legend has it, adding lemon juice to any bread dough recipe will make the dough superior in lightness and volume. Apparently, it’s a well known fact in the ‘baking world’ that adding any form of ascorbic acid (vit. C) enhances the work of yeast and doughs. Something similar to a sourdough starter, and again a long standing , old secret in the bakers world. Noted.
Summer Lemon Cake
- 7/8 cup butter 200 grams
- 2 cups sugar 200 grams
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 whole lemons zest from lemons + 2 TBS juice
- 2 1/3 cups flour 250 grams
- 1 TBS baking powder
For the icing:
- 4 TBS lemon juice
- 3 cups powder sugar 300 grams
- Butter your 24cm. spring form pan, sprinkle with flour and set asidepre-heat oven to 200 Celsius
- cut up butter into squares and blend with mixer
- Add sugar and blend together
- add eggs, one at a time. Add flour, baking powder, lemon juice and lemon zest and blend.
- pour into spring form pan and bake for 40 minutes
- or until cooked in the middle. Let cool and make icing.
- ice by brushing on the icing all around the cake
- slice and serve