Lemon Curd Poppy Seed Crown … yes, a long name, but what a wonderfully delicious, and memorable discovery. I found this in our local Swiss paper. I seem to notice great recipes and put them aside, for just the right time. Well, the time finally arrived a few months after the fact and I committed to give this amazing dessert a try. For starters, this recipe has a very European flare with the lemon curd and poppy seed combination, in addition to the lemon and seeds, the dough for the bread is so light and delicate. I suggest making the entire recipe from scratch, as to say, don’t cheat by using store bought curd. I made my own lemon curd, (very easy, 4 ingredients). Once you make your curd, let it cool and begin the dough. The dough should rise 2 hours minimum.
Lemon Curd Poppy Seed Crown
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice 1-2 lemons
- 1 TBS lemon zest 1 lemon
For the crown dough
- 2 cups flour 300 grams
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 TBS sugar
- 1 tsp yeast 10 gr. fresh yeast
- 3 TBS butter soft and cut in squares
- 1/4 cup milk add slowly, might take more or less until consistancy is achieved
- 1 whole egg
- 3/4 cup lemon curd or more if desired (about 1 batch)
- 3 TBS poppy seeds
- zest the rind of 1 lemon
- dice the zest, then add to sugar
- combine sugar and lemon and let sit.
- accumulate the juice from 1-2 lemons, until you have 1/3 cup
- combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. With a medium sauce pan 1/3 filled with boiling water, begin to whisk the mixture until it thickens (usually takes about 10 minutes)
- when mixture thickens, set aside in cool location until ready to use.
- Dough is simple. Add all the ingredients together and mix until well combined. Cover with a warm water towel and let rise until doubled in size (usually 2 hours)
- On a well floured surface, roll dough out. Dough is very light and soft. roll out into the shape of a nice rectangle
- Take the lemon curd and mix in the poppy seeds, then spread on dough. You could also spread the curd, then sprinkle the seeds on top.
- make 1 roll on all 4 sides of the rectangle once the curd/seeds has been spread
- roll length wise until finished and seam well.
- slice the roll up the middle, until about 2″ from the top.
- begin to braid or fold over another
- join together the 2 ends to form a crown
- In your pre-heated oven (180 Celsius) bake until nice and golden brown, around 25 minutes.
- cool, cut and serve.