Lemon Curd Poppy Seed Crown
Lemon Curd Poppy Crown...yes, a long name, but what a wonderfully delicious, and memorable discovery I made in our local Swiss papers. I seem to notice great recipes and put them aside, for just the right time. Well, the time finally arrived a few months after the fact and I committed to give this amazing dessert a try. For starters, this recipe has a very European flare with the lemon curd and poppy seed combination, in addition to the lemon and seeds, the dough for the bread is so light and delicate. I suggest making the entire recipe from scratch, as to say, don't cheat by using store bought curd. I made my own lemon curd, (very easy, 4 ingredients). Once you make your curd, let it cool and begin the dough. The dough should rise 2 hours minimum. Follow this step-by step recipe and you'll find you add this to your heritage section, sure to please, charm and seduce the ones lucky enough to try it.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
Servings 8 people
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice 1-2 lemons
- 1 TBS lemon zest 1 lemon
For the crown dough
- 2 cups flour 300 grams
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 TBS sugar
- 1 tsp yeast 10 gr. fresh yeast
- 3 TBS butter soft and cut in squares
- 1/4 cup milk add slowly, might take more or less until consistancy is achieved
- 1 whole egg
- 3/4 cup lemon curd or more if desired (about 1 batch)
- 3 TBS poppy seeds
- zest the rind of 1 lemon
- dice the zest, then add to sugar
- combine sugar and lemon and let sit.
- accumulate the juice from 1-2 lemons, until you have 1/3 cup
- combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. With a medium sauce pan 1/3 filled with boiling water, begin to whisk the mixture until it thickens (usually takes about 10 minutes)
- when mixture thickens, set aside in cool location until ready to use.
- Dough is simple. Add all the ingredients together and mix until well combined. Cover with a warm water towel and let rise until doubled in size (usually 2 hours)
- On a well floured surface, roll dough out. Dough is very light and soft. roll out into the shape of a nice rectangle
- Take the lemon curd and mix in the poppy seeds, then spread on dough. You could also spread the curd, then sprinkle the seeds on top.
- make 1 roll on all 4 sides of the rectangle once the curd/seeds has been spread
- roll length wise until finished and seam well.
- slice the roll up the middle, until about 2" from the top.
- begin to braid or fold over another
- join together the 2 ends to form a crown
- In your pre-heated oven (180 Celsius) bake until nice and golden brown, around 25 minutes.
- cool, cut and serve.