Source: Beerli Family, cir. 1970’s.
Marble Bunt Cake
We've been married for close to 25 years, and my dude brought to our marriage minimal kitchen talents. However, he did bring along an amazing cook book from his childhood. In this cookbook is the one and only thing he can make to perfection...the marble bunt cake. This bunt cake brings along with it decades of memories, having been made by his Omi, and mother, it was the first cake his mother made for us upon her first visit to the continent. This recipe has lasting power and is definitely worth passing along to you all on this website. If you are looking for a simple cake to offer to family and friends, then give this one a try. I think it wont disappoint. You can make this cake with the addition of cacao powder for the marbling effect (as the recipe calls for), or keep it plain. Sprinkle top with powder sugar before serving.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 10 people
- 250 gr butter melted and cooled
- 250 gr sugar raw, organic
- 4 eggs organic
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar home-made or in packett
- 1 tbs rind of the lemon
- 500 gr flour organic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2-3 tsp cocoa powder organic
- 2 tsp rum dark is best
- 1/8 liter milk raw and organic
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Combine melted butter, sugar and eggs and beat until well mixed. Add rind of lemon. mix
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder & salt
- Combine wet with dry, and slowly pulse. Add milk & rum alternately during pulse. Mix until well combined.
- In a well buttered cake pan (bunt style), sprinkle a small amount of bread crumbs to pan. This not only coats the under (top when finished) layer of cake, but it most importantly gives you an easy release when the cake is done. If all is done well, cake should just drop out effortlessly when cooled, with out sticking or breaking.pour half the dough in the pan.
- pour half the dough in the pan.
- Add cocoa powder to remaining mixture. After well combined, spoon in the remaining dark mixture on the top.
- Bake for around 45 min., or until tester tool comes out clean.
- Let cool on wire rack. When ready, flip over to cake dish. Sprinkle with powder sugar.