Eenvoudig, romig, heerlijk cheesecake kreeg het beginnen in de U.S. in de omgeving van 1929 van de legendarische Turf restaurant. Het restaurant was in handen van Arnold Reuben Jr. Na het winnen van de gouden medaille in de 1929 World's Fair voor de eerste en enige cheesecake, het geheim stapte uit. Al snel werd het een Amerikaanse legende, almost as legendary as apple pie. Interestingly enough, Reuben was of Jewish decent, hailing from Germany. Is there a connection to the Duitse version of cheesecake? Ja, there most definitely is. The biggest difference between the two is the type of cheese used.
In the German recipe, they use Quark, which is hard to define by American terms. It’s not a yogurt, it’s not a ricotta, but it’s something in-between. As we know, in the American version, we rely solely on cream cheese, eggs and sugar. The finale as we say, is the top layer of sugar and sour cream. Yup, it really is that simple. I salute you, Arnold Reuben Jr for not only taking a fine recipe and making it legendary, but you also gave America something to brag about.
Cheesecake has made its way to the top of the Thanksgiving dessert list and tables year after year. Every American knows cheesecake, and I have yet to meet one who doesn’t love it. There’s been restaurants named after this dessert and let’s not deny that we all tend to love cheesecake a bit more the next day. Even though this American staple has been around for almost one hundred years, it’s the first time I every tried making it. Was my version deserving of the gold medal in the World’s Fair?
Simplest Creamy Delicious Cheesecake
Voor de Korst
- 1 1/2 cups petite burre of Grahm crackers, crushed
- 3 TBS suiker
- 1/4 beker boter gesmolten
Voor de vulling:
- 16 oz roomkaas
- 1/2 beker suiker
- 3 medium eieren
- 1 pint zure room for top layer
- 1/4 beker suiker for top layer
Voor de korst
- assemble all your ingredients. yes, there are only a few, but it’s complicated to keep going to the fridge to get this and that.
- once all assembled, crush your crackers in a food processor until smooth
- add your melted butter
- stir up with a wooden spoon
- assemble crust into bottom of your spring form pan. use a measuring cup to smooth out the edges and ensure an even crust
voor het vullen:
- mix the cream cheese, sugar and eggs, een per keer, and be careful not to over-mix
- assemble the mixture and pour over the crust.
- tap the sides of the pan to help out any air bubbles that might be trapped.
Bak @ 180 C. voor ongeveer 25-30 mijn. or until center is firm and not jiggly
- mix the sour cream and sugar
- take baked cake out of the oven, laat afkoelen voor ongeveer 10 min., meanwhile, increase oven temperature to 200 C., Pour mixture over top of cooled cake.
- bake for an additional 10 minutes. Let cool then chill for at least 4 hours.