Onion and Cheese Tart
The onion tart, or Zwiebelkuchen, is a lovely delight throughout Europe. Zwiebelkuchen is a wonderful savory dish is traced back to Germany. Comprised of a nice dough , caramelized onions, then baked with a cream and egg mixture. Some might find it comparable to a quiche perhaps, yet I find it very different. In a quiche, you feel the presence of eggs. In the Zwiebelkuchen, you feel the presence of onions. Many traditional recipes call for caraway seeds, however, in Switzerland, I’ve yet to try a Zwiebelkuchen with them.
It’s become a tradition in Switzerland to serve Zwiebelkuchen on Friday’s, mostly do in part to honor the Catholic tradition. This takes a bit of stress off the minds of every woman or man, who is trying to decide what to cook for lunch on Friday. I find the kuchen very easy to make. The crust plays a big role in the recipe. It’s a yeast dough, so it takes a bit of time to rise, but it’s a delicious combination. The dough with the savory flavor of sauteed onions. Many add bacon or ham to the mixture. Feel free, however, it does go against the ‘meat-free Friday’ for the true Catholics.
In Switzerland, you can find it in the restaurants and in every bakery around town. You can get it even by the piece in supermarkets. What a nice tradition.
Onion Tart or Zwiebelkuchen
Dough-basic and easy
- 1 cup flour
- 2 TBS butter
- 1 to 2 TBS water chilled
- 1 pinch himalayian salt
- 4 large onions diced, red or yellow
- 2 large eggs
- 1 to 2 TBS flour to use as a thickener
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- mix flour, butter salt and cold water all together until formed. Add flour to table top, roll out flat, and line pie pan. Poke holes before filling to avoid bubbling.
- pre-cook dough base for about 10 minutes @ 200 Celsius or until light golden brown
- Have your onions ready for dicing. 4 medium onions, or 5 smaller ones.
- Dice up the onions, and set aside for sautéing
- Add onions, and bacon and sautee until translucent
- beat eggs, milk and flour mixture, until smooth and well combined.
- pour in tart pan, over onions
- Add some additional spicy peppers (optional)
- Bake in a 200 degree Celsius, pre-heated oven for 25 minutes.
- Let cool, cut and serve.