Persimmon & Walnut bread so clearly marks the taste of fall, it’s a shame to miss out on this recipe. Sadly it seems quite difficult to find the right recipe out there on the web. Much to my chagrin, the trend with persimmon bread tends to be with added raisins and dried fruit. I totally disagree.
Persimmon are a lovely fruit, orange in color, originating from Asia. There are several varieties out there, but we’re pretty much exposed to the two most popular ones. They are the Hachiya, and the Fuyu. The Hachiya is the more preferred version for baking. She is softer skinned and acorn shaped. Fuyu on the other hand the one that is eaten like an apple. It has a tougher skin and round shape. In addition to their beauty and delicious flavor, the persimmon is a powerhouse fruit, loaded with ant-oxidants, anti-inflammatory compounds and anti-tumor components. Who wouldn’t love the perfect persimmon.
Certainly, persimmons have enough taste and texture to pull off their own theme in baked goods, with out the addition of dried fruits and raisins. The persimmon & walnut bread was so pleasing, it deserves to be passed on. The moisture level here is impressive, with the slight cinnamon flair and who doesn’t love walnuts with this combination.
Cut it up to go on a picnic, a hike, or just a mid-day snack. It travels with class and will not crumble or fall apart. Give this bread a go, and share it with whomever you can!
Persimmon & Walnut Bread
- 1/2 cup butter soft and cut small
- 3/4 cup white flour basic flour
- 3/4 cup wheat flour or a wheat blend
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon or more if you prefer
- 3-4 medium presimmons ripe and soft, skinned
- 1/3 cup buttermilk or milk with tsp. vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 cup walnuts
- in a blender, mix skinned persimmons and buttermilk until smooth. set aside
- in your mixer, mix together butter, sugar and eggs
- mix dry and add to wet
- mix persimmon and buttermilk and mix until well combined
- pour in long loaf pan, lined with baking paper.Bake @ 350 for 35 min., or until tester comes out clean
- cook, cut and serve. sprinkle powder sugar on top if you would like.