Source: Me. 1990’s
The history of crumble
The raspberry crumble is a symbol of Summer. For those who aren’t familiar with the term, “crumble”, it’s the British version of the American “crisp”. However, crisps usually come in the form of apple or strawberry, and the ‘crisp’ signifies the oats mixed into the top layer to form the crisp.
The essence of raspberries
Now, back to the raspberry crumble. If you’re fortunate enough to have your own few bushes of raspberries in the garden, then you’ll appreciate this recipe even more. There’s a definite difference to buying berries in the grocery store, and picking your own fresh basket from your carefully tended to bushes.
A good warm summer will deliver baskets and baskets of endless berries well until the end of the summer season. I know, you can only eat so many raspberry crumbles, but you could move on to quick preserves, or freeze a bunch for smoothies. But, this is not a post for raspberries.
This crumble is buttery rich, crunchy and delicious and goes great with a scoop if vanilla ice cream! The cake is overall a cake batter with the raspberries on top, followed by a sweet crumble. I think you’ll please all your guests and family during your summer loving meals.
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp himalayian salt
- 1/3 cup butter soft butter is best for mixing
- 3/4 cup raw sugar or turbinado
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or pure powder
- 1/2 cup milk or cream
- 2 cups raspberries
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup raw sugar or turbinado sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 170° Celsius and grease a 9″ square cake pan
- Together, whip butter, sugar and egg until well combined and creamy
- Add your dry ingredients together in a bowl, and then combine dry with wet on low speed, until well combined
- Finish by adding the milk, slowly.
- Transfer finished batter to your baking square and fill.
- Add washed berries to the top
- Begin to make your crumble. Combine the 3 ingredients, and with your paddle attachment, use your mixer to achieve a nice, even crumble.
- Layer the crumble on top, and bake 45 min, or until finished.