Spitzbub or Bad Boy Cookies
It seems like a lot of effort to make these lovely cookies for a particular bad little boy in the family, but this was indeed the case for these Spitzbub cookies. Loosely translated from Swiss-German to English, the name spitzbub means more or less, a clever little rascal. I guess the name for the cookie is indeed self-explanatory, most little boys are rascals, and most little boys love this cookie! The cookie is for sure, a Swiss tradition. Every bakery features the over-sized version of this cookie for all the local little rascals (boy or girl). This is a double layer cookie which usually features a cut out from the top middle layer. The cookie is filled with your favorite home-made jelly, then finished with a nice light sprinkling of powder sugar. This is a favorite recipe from my little rascals. Our cookie features a heart cut out. Since we didn't have the right size heart for our cut out, my daughter cut it out herself, with a knife. Get creative people, make some "bad boy" cookies for your bad boys (and girls).
Prep Time 1 hour
Cook Time 12 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 12 minutes
Servings 10 cookies (20)
- 1 cup butter about 200g
- 1 1/4 cups sugar 125 grams
- 1 TBS vanilla or vanilla sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 medium egg
- 1 1/4 cups flour 300 grams
- 1 rind lemon
- 1 1/2 cup jelly about 150 g
- 2 to 3 TBS powder sugar for sprinkling for entire batch
- This is a pretty simple ingredient list, which requires you to combine room temperature butter with the rest of the ingredients (except the jelly and powder sugar which are used for the decorating portion of this recipe)Mix by hand or with mixer until well combined. Wrap in cling paper and chill for 1 hour in the refrigerator. This step makes it easy to roll out and cut with out the dough being too soft.
- After dough is chilled, take out and begin to roll the dough on a well floured surface.
Heat oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
Prepare a paper lined cookie sheet and gather your cookie cutter forms.
- roll out dough, then cut the center out .
- bake for 12 minutes, before it begins to turn golden.
take out and let cool
- apply the jelly on the bottom solid layer, the put the cut out layer on the top. Finish with powder sugar(my daughter's version)
- my version for someone's "welcome home"