Source: William Sonoma’s “The Pie Cookbook”; cir. 2018
Apple pie is an American classic. There are legends surrounding our apples, pies and traditions that come along with it. I learned that I have more to learn with the apple pie. After receiving a wonderful book called “The Pie Cookbook” I began exploring this option, and discovered that a caramel sauce, and a delicious crust do make quite the difference in this classic. “The Pie Book” is 100 pages of sheer inspiration-from sweet pies to savory pies, and it’s worth the read.
I’m old-fashioned in this regard, and I always like to mix my crusts with my hands. I think you get a really accurate feel this way, and you don’t have to worry about over mixing it. This new crust recipe is nothing new ingredient wise, but maybe the ratio variation is what really gave me a wonderful, flakey crust. I don’t know exactly what it was, but I was very pleased, and so were the others tasting this lovely pie. Let’s not forget the additional step of caramel sauce. This is both added to the apple mixture, and drizzled over the pie upon serving. Great recipe!
Sunday Caramel Apple Pie
Basic Pie Dough by hand
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 TBS sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 TBS water cold
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 TBS lemon juice fresh
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tsp salt
- 5 lbs apples peeled and cored
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3 TBS cornstarch for thickener
- 1 small egg beaten for brushing top
- 1 pinch sugar for baking
Basic Pie Dough
- In a large bowl, properly measure flour
- sugar, salt
- and the cold butter. Combine the dry with the butter
- Combine until the mixture is crumbly
- add the cold water, and mix by hand until mixture is soft and formidable.
- Make a double recipe, one for the crust, and one for the top. Roll our to a flat oval shape, and refrigerate for 30 minutes
- When ready, line your baking pan
- fill with cooked apples, then finalize with the top layer of dough.Bake @ 375 for 45 minutes, or until golden brown and the inside is bubbling.Let cool up to 4 hours before serving.
- slice up and drizzle with remaining caramel sauce.
For the apple filing
- Gather your apples
- peel, core and cut the apples into 8 slices per apple, so rather larger slices as compared to dicing or thin…
- over medium heat, add your brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon juice and stir until tender, about 10 minutes. cover and set aside. Add your cornstarch pinch of salt
- for the caramel sauce, add the sugar, 1/4 c. water and teaspoon of lemon juice. cook until the mixture bubbles and turns golden amber. remove from heat then add cream. stir in 1 1/2 tsp. salt and let cool.
- Pour the apple filling into crust. add top layer of crust and bake pie @ 350 degrees (Fahrenheit) until golden brown.