This recipe for vegan chocolate cake is a recipe adapted from the one, the only, Ina Garten. Ina, for those of you not familiar with her, is a classic entertainer, cook, baker extraordinaire. She has been entertaining and writing cook books for decades. She’s a personal favorite of mine, but since going vegan, I use her less and less.
Some recipes you just can’t leave behind.
There are always recipes you can live with out when your food lifestyle changes. This recipe however, is not one of them. This cake is very under-rated and all one can say, when you sink your teeth into this wonderfully divine chocolate cake, there’s no turning back.
Transitioning this cake to vegan was no problem at all. Applesauce takes the place of the egg, and plant based milk and butter take care of the rest. The original Aunt Beaty’s cake from Ina, does call for coffee- however, I tend to leave it out just for the sake of ease. If you want to add coffee, just do it in place of the hot water.
Bring this cake along to a friend’s house, or serve it up after a delicious meal. I can guarantee, you’ll be lucky if you have any left-overs, as I actually love this cake a bit more the next day.
Vegan Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup oat milk
- 1 TBS apple vinegar mix together with the mil for buttermilk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cacoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil or melted vegan butter
- 2/3 cup apple sauce
- 1 cup boiling water
For the Vegan Butter Cream Icing
- 1-2 TBS cacoa powder more if you desire, or less
- 340 grams soft vegan butter
- 3-4 cups powder sugar again, you can add less if you desire
- 1-2 tsp oat milk
- Heat oven to 180 Celsius and oil/flour your 2 9" spring form pans
- in a small bowl, combine the milk and apple vinegar and set aside (this will become your substitute for buttermilk).
- Next, add all your ingredients together
- evenly pour entire mixture in both spring forms
- Bake for approx. 30 minutes, or until the test comes out clean
- set aside and let cool, now let's begin with the icing.
- for the icing, take 1-2 TBS cacoa powder and mix in with 340 grams of soft vegan butter. Add 4-5 cups of powder sugar and a bit of oat milk and whip on high speed until nice and creamy
- Now, ice away. do the center, then the top and sides.